Sea Salt PopcornMADE BY PIPSNACKS IN BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
This classic, movie-ready, sea salt popcorn is light and airy, sprinkled with a dash of olive oil and just a taste of sea salt to bring out the delicious, natural flavor.
Plus, it's made from a special kind of corn, so when it's popped (always by hand and in small batches, in just a little olive oil), the mini-kernel shells break up into tiny pieces.
Here at Mouth we love popcorn, but you know what we don't always love? Little pieces of kernel that inevitably get stuck in your teeth. We've been in love ever since we first tasted Pipcorn at Smorgasburg, right near our DUMBO, Brooklyn office. With a name that cute, how could anyone not?
It's the perfect popcorn for a first date. Or someone with braces. Or a first date with someone with braces.
Tip of the Tongue
TRY USING AS AN INDIE UPGRADE TO ONE OF OUR FAVORITE RECIPES:
1 pound sweet Italian sausage (or 1.5 pounds of meaty mushrooms like shitake or portobello)
2 tablespoons Enzo Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 jar French Onion Confit
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
½ cup sage, finely chopped
½ cup thyme
1 egg (optional)
1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
1 loaf cornbread (yeah, I know that's not precise)
1 bag Sea Salt Pipcorn
1 package Dried Cranberries & Blueberries
1 package Brined and Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Remove sausage from casings and break up meat into small pieces (about the size of grapes).
3. Dutch oven over medium-high heat and coat bottom with EVOO. Brown sausage (or mushrooms), then remove with a slotted spoon, leaving oil behind.
4. Add celery, season with salt and pepper and cook until softish (about 5 minutes).
5. Mix in Three Little Figs French Onion Confit, finely chopped herbs and reserved sausage for 1 minute then turn off heat.
6. In a separate bowl, beat an egg then mix in the broth (this will give the mixture body). Add the egg-broth mixture to Dutch oven to deglaze bottom.
7. Break up cornbread then add it, dried fruit and pumpkin seeds to Dutch oven.
8. Blend popcorn in a food processor and pulse 2 minutes or until it turns into a powder. (Be careful when removing the lid – this stuff doesn’t stain, but it’ll fly everywhere if you’re not careful, and it sticks to your clothes like crazy!)
9. Add popcorn flour to the cornbread mixture, toss until well-combined, then season to taste.
10. Cover and put the whole thing in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. If you’re serving soon, uncover and cook for another 15 minutes to brown the top. If not, let it cool. It's great after sitting for day in the fridge.
Total time: 90 minutes
Serves: 6-16 (depending on how hungry they are)
Non-GMO popcorn, olive oil, sea salt. Comes in a 4 oz bag. NOTE: Produced in a facility that handles dairy, peanuts and tree nuts.