Dried Cranberries & BlueberriesMADE BY VINCENT FAMILY CRANBERRIES IN BANDON, OREGON
Vincent Family cranberries don’t bog you down with added sugar. They’re infused with unsweetened apple juice before being dried to a chewy but soft and juicy texture. Paired with not-too-tart dried blueberries, these have become our new favorite healthy mid-afternoon desk snack.
Ty and Tim Vincent are third-generation independent cranberry farmers, tending the family’s bog just half a mile from the Pacific Ocean. Ah, what a life... Salty winds whipping through the Vincent bog create hardier, smaller berries with much more concentrated flavor. The year-round cool climate means a longer growing season and a later harvest, so cranberries are always at their ripest and need hardly any help in the sweetness department (we’re looking at you, store-bought blue bag of sugar bombs that claim to also feel a spray from the ocean!).
tip of the tongue
TRY USING AS AN INDIE UPGRADE TO A CLASSIC HOLIDAY DISH:
1. Wash and dry kale leaves. Using your hands, tear into bite-size pieces (discarding the stem) and place in a large serving bowl.
2. Make the dressing by whisking together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
3. Using your hands, massage dressing into kale leaves and let sit for 10 minutes (this tenderizes the leaves).
4. To the kale add half the Spiced Candied Pecans, Dried Cranberries & Blueberries and Ewe’s Blue cheese. Toss to combine.
5. Before serving, top salad with remaining ingredients.
Total time: 12 minutes