You say tomato, we say pickled cherry tomato! Tomatoes are obviously a classic pairing (tomato soup, anyone?), and if you’re a grilled cheese gourmet, you’ve probably had one with sun-dried tomatoes. Heck, you may have even had a pickle in your grilled cheese before too (or at least on your cheeseburger). So why not try pickled cherry tomatoes in your next G.C.?
Each bite of this sandwich is an explosion of ooey-gooey, cheesy pickled goodness, with pops of plump and juicy organic cherry tomatoes and the crunch of little mustard seeds. The salty-sweet cheese is balanced out by the red wine in the pickled cherry tomato brine.
Get ready to brine and dine.
Pickled Cherry Tomato Grilled Cheese
1 jar Doux South Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
8 oz. Swiss cheese
4 tbsps. softened butter
2 slices of white bread
- Cut pickled tomatoes in half.
- Grate cheese.
- Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Butter 2 slices of bread on both sides.
- Place both slices of bread in the skillet. On one, layer grated cheese and a handful of tomato halves. Then sprinkle cheese to cover the surface of the other slice.
- Turn heat way down and cook low and slow in the pan until the cheese starts to melt and the underside of the bread turns a light golden-brown (about 5 minutes). To help speed up the process, you can cover the sandwich with another plate, pan or bowl.
- Flip the second slice cheese side down on top of the one with the cheese and tomatoes. Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula and cook until the cheese is completely melted and both sides are a full golden-brown (about another 5 minutes).
Total time: 15 minutes
It ain’t easy bein’ cheesy.