Calling all cottontails, veg-heads and people who want to improve their night vision – this carrot recipe is for you.
In an attempt to keep our resolutions this year, we’ve been experimenting with new ways to cook veggies. Lucky for us, our pantry is chock-full of indie condiments that can jazz up the foods our mothers used to have to force-feed us.
One of our current favorites is Mustard and Co.’s Honey Curry Mustard. It was totally Mouth-watering when we used it in our salmon dinner, and then we saw this recipe from our friend Krista (of Krista’s Baking Co.) and we can honestly say we love these carrots a whole bunch.
This knockout sauce shows off the ubiquitous mustard seed’s inherent spiciness. It’s paired smartly with curry powder but balanced with a touch of raw honey and balsamic. While roasting, the carrots caramelize in the sweet and spicy marinade and what comes out of the oven is basically carrot candy. A handful of crumbled goat cheese on top, and it’s absolutely addicting, delicious and healthy.
Hop on down the bunny trail…
Roasted Carrots With A Balsamic And Maple Syrup Reduction
2 pounds organic carrots
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Bobo's Mountain Sugar Vermont Dark Maple Syrup
2 tablespoons Mustard and Co. Honey Curry Mustard Sauce
¼ cup Baja Precious Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Vermont Creamery Fresh Goat Cheese
- Wash and trim the carrot tips and tops.
- Halve smaller carrots and quarter larger carrots so they are uniform in size. Place in a large bowl.
- Whip together 2 tablespoons maple syrup, the mustard and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Dump contents of the bowl onto a large cookie sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil.
- Place the carrots in a cold oven, then turn it to 425˚F. Toss and flip the carrots every 10 minutes until they are caramelized (about 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine a ½ cup of balsamic vinegar and ½cup of maple syrup in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until it reduces to ⅔ cup (about 10 minutes).
- Remove carrots from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Drizzle the balsamic reduction over the carrots and, using your fingers to break it up, sprinkle the goat cheese over the top. Serve immediately with the extra balsamic reduction on the side for those who wish to add more.
Total time: 1 hour
Hop to it!