We can’t eat fajitas without thinking of the TV show “Friends.” Yes, we know the series finale aired more than 10 years ago, but we’re still obsessed (be honest, when you land on a rerun you watch too).
For a refresher, in the famous fajita episode, Ross pretends to be fine with the fact that Rachel and Joey have started dating and invites them over for a friendly dinner where he cooks them fajitas. As the episode goes on, it’s obvious how completely not fine Ross is – he carries out the burning hot pan of fajitas in his bare hands while yelling to them, “Very hot plate, very hot!”
Ross was right about one thing – everyone does love fajitas. Craving some now? We’ll be there for you.
Our friends at Greensbury Market shared this simple, one-pot recipe from food blogger The Girl and the Kitchen using their delicious, organic chicken breasts. We just had to pass it onto you with you because that’s what friends are for.
Speaking of friendly, Greensbury has a vision that all animals should be raised in a way that’s humane and sustainable – which, lucky for us, results in some of the tastiest meat we’ve come across.
Even Monica would be impressed by this spicy, flavorful dish:
One Pot Chicken Fajitas And Rice
1½ tablespoons paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ teaspoon ground coriander powder
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons brown sugar
5-6 Organic Free Range Chicken Thighs
2 tablespoons avocado oil (or coconut oil)
1 large onion, sliced
2 large red peppers, sliced
1 cup long-grain rice
1½ cups chicken broth
¾ cup water
3 garlic cloves, minced on a microplane
2 packets of Goya Sauzon con cilantro y tomate seasoning (or tomato paste and garlic powder)
1 15 ounces can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons of roughly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine paprika, cayenne, coriander, cumin, black pepper, onion powder, and brown sugar to create fajita seasoning.
- Pour avocado or coconut oil into a heavy bottomed pan large enough to fit the chicken and the rice.
- Place chicken into hot pan skin-side down and sear 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Flip to sear the other side. Let it turn golden brown.
- Remove chicken and lower to medium heat.
- Remove darkened bits from chicken and wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Add remaining oil, red peppers and onions to the pan. Sweat them until translucent and soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add broth and water and stir to loosen everything from the bottom of the pan.
- Add rice, tomatoes, garlic and seasoning packets.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to bubble for 30 seconds.
- Top rice with chicken, nestling it in gently. Cover the pan and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove lid and bake for 10 more minutes to allow chicken to brown. The rice is done when all the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!
Total time: 1 hour
Don’t forget the oven mitts – it is a very hot plate!