Sizzle, sizzle… We went whole hog for the last recipe in our grilled cheese hack series! Last up: Bacon Balsamic Four Onion Grilled Cheese.
Tender Belly has strict standards for the way the pigs are raised which gives it a signature (and absolutely Mouth-watering) flavor. The perfect balance of sweet and savory and the perfect ratio of meaty to fatty… Drooling yet?
A perfect cheese pairing for this sandwich is Everton – a Hoosier's take on an old Swiss classic. This alpine-style, semi-firm cow’s milk cheese from Jacobs & Brichford is rich and savory, and it tastes even creamier as it warms up. Added bonus: it feels right at home on the Brichford family farm cozied up with some bacon and melted between two slices of bread.
For some added sauciness, we turned to The Gracious Gourmet’s Caramelized onion and balsamic spread. Why spend time slaving over the stove when we can just unscrew the jar and quickly transform a sandwich from drab to fab in two seconds flat? The sweetness of the vinegar and caramelized onions intensify the flavor of the rich maple bacon.
Time to pig out!
Bacon Balsamic Four Onion Grilled Cheese
- Grate Everton cheese.
- Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Butter 2 slices of bread on both sides. On one side of one piece spread a thick layer of Balsamic Four Onion Spread.
- Place both slices of bread in the skillet. On the piece without the spread, layer grated cheese and a handful of bacon pieces. Then sprinkle cheese to cover the surface of the other slice.
- Turn heat way down and cook low and slow in the pan until the cheese starts to melt and the underside of the bread turns a light golden-brown (about 5 minutes). To help speed up the process, you can cover the sandwich with a plate, pan or bowl.
- Flip the second slice cheese-side-down on top of the one with the cheese and tomatoes. Carefully flip the sandwich with a spatula and cook until the cheese is completely melted and both sides are a full golden-brown (about another 5 minutes).
Total time: 15 minutes
To bacon-grilled-cheese-infinity, and beyond.
Love today’s #MOUTHwatering Grilled Cheese Hack? Don’t forget to share your own! Tag us @MouthFoods using the hashtag #MOUTHwatering for a chance to be reposted.