“Mom, can we bake tonight?” This request late on a Friday afternoon isn’t always met with…enthusiasm. We’d been planning to head home from Mouth HQ and straight for a Jack Rudy and Tonic. But, there's Krista.
Krista Nelson designed her genius cookie mixes with the “anti-baker” in mind, for those of us who are a little, ahem, recipe challenged (or just exhausted). You bring the egg and the unsalted butter – and an oven. The rest is all in the box, including adorably pre-measured ingredients (each packed separately) and super easy-to-follow instructions.
Within minutes, your kitchen will fill with the smell of oats and cinnamon – a bowl of oatmeal in dessert form. Trust us, one is going to believe these came from a box. (We just fooled a house full of relatives on Mother’s Day, in fact.)
Krista's mix also features non-GMO wheat flour, non-GMO brown sugar, non-GMO cane sugar and fair trade cinnamon, so you can feel good about scarfing down that fifth cookie.
Krista suggests adding a cup of dried fruit or chocolate, but our people read that as fruit and chocolate, so we pile AllGood Provisions Organic Dried Cherries and indie dark chocolate into to our batch. Some here at Mouth HQ have added bits of Fruition Chocolate Toasted White Chocolate.
We like to pull the cookies out a little early, when they look a tiny bit underdone. Every oven is a little bit different, though, so be sure to keep a close eye on the time, especially for your first batch. Or, keep them in a little longer for a crispier cookie.
By now, the cocktail has probably set in, so you really want to go nuts, right when the cookies come out of the oven, sprinkle on a little Bourbon Smoked Sugar or drizzle some Spicy Chile Caramel Sauce. Boom!
Here's what's not included:
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup Videri Chocolate Factory's Classic Dark Bar (broken up)
Here's what needs to be done:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour the sugar into a medium bowl. Beat in melted butter with a fork or whisk until well combined.
- Add egg to the sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- Pour flour mixture into sugar mixture and fold together with a spatula until just combined. Do not over mix (but you know that, right?)
- (Fold in ¾ cup of raisins, dried cranberries, or chocolate. Your call!
- Scoop heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake on the center rack for 8 to 10 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Let cool on the sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.